I had this buried in yesterday’s post, but the question has come up, so I am dedicating a blog just to how to migrate from Posterous.
As I said yesterday, the bad news is there isn’t an easy way to migrate your blog yet. Maybe it is coming? The Posterous FAQ made it sound like they are working on it. But with the current functionality it isn’t too terrible to move your posts to another site. It’s just manual and it will take some time to do the migration. The more posts you have the longer it will take.
Step by step instructions:
- Log into your Posterous account.
- On the left click on “Manage Spaces”
- Click on the down arrow next to the gear for the blog you want to migrate
- Click on “Autopost Setup”
- At the bottom of the page click on “+ Add a service”
- Set up the new blogging platform you want to migrate to.
- Now the long tedious part…
- Click on “Manage Spaces” again
- The click on the down arrow next to the gear for the blog you want to migrate again
- Then select “Posts”
- Start with your oldest post click on the gear next to the post to “Edit” the post
- You don’t have to actually edit the post, but you do need to click on “Post Options” way over on the right of the screen
- Then click on “Autopost this now” and select the new Blog site
- And repeat over and over and over for each posting.
- Remember to start with your oldest post and work your way to the newest posting, if you want to keep your chronological order
- And, if you want you can then go edit each new post on the new blog site to change the posting date back to your original posting date
So it will take some time, but it’s pretty simple and you can move all your old posts from Posterous to your new platform just by dedicating some time.